Reasons for Australian Student Visa Rejection
Recently, many cases have come up asking for reasons behind the rejection of Australian Visa. Students have been restlessly following up with their agents seeking the exact shortcomings in filing the visa application.
Visa a complex process, hence it is difficult for agents or anyone apart from the visa officers to establish the exact reasons for the rejection. While writing a Visa SOP or Visa Letter to the Visa Office, some things can be taken care of to reduce the chances of rejection.
Updates on similar topics are just a click away! Subscribe to curated alerts
Note that we are talking about Student Visa, not a tourist, work, or immigrant visa.
The key to getting a student visa approval in Australia would be to stay truthful and loyal to your profile. Any lies in your letter that can be crosschecked by the visa agents may get you into trouble. Mentioned below is a detailed list of major things that cause most visa rejections, especially in the case of Australia.
Reasons for Australia Student Visa Application Rejection
Carefully read the reasons behind each point and refer to the suggestions to save yourselves from the disappointment caused due to student visa application rejection in Australia:
- Improper Passport: The applicant’s passport must have been issued within the last ten years and should be valid for at least six months after returning from Australia. In certain cases where passports don’t meet the necessary requirements, the Immigration Office of Australia will not be issuing any student visas.
- Incomplete Application Form: If an incomplete visa application form is submitted, the visa request will be denied under all circumstances.
- Character Requirements Failure: Failure to meet the Australia student visa's character requirements will result in a clear rejection. In case your student visa is denied on character grounds, you might not be given another visa. You must be of good character to visit or live in Australia. This means you must pass the character test, and remain good character. The character requirements are set out under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958. They help us decide if you are of good character.
- Incomplete or Missing Documents: If the Australian student visa application of an applicant is found to have a document or two missing, which are required for the completion of assessing the Australia student visa application, then the visa application request will be denied in this case also.
- False Information: Visa officers expect applicants to provide correct and exact information about themselves and their family’s income and the potential to bear overall expenses. One should mention the exact amount of course fees and living expenses along with the exact amount of your income and savings. This figure is crosschecked in order to ensure that the applicant has the capability of bearing the educational as well as living costs for studying in Australia. Even if the applicant plans to take an educational loan, they would need to mention the exact amount of the loan also. If you provide false income or savings, a visa application has a huge chance of being rejected.
- Failure to Submit Additional Requests. After you submit an Australian student visa application, the Immigration Office may ask you to provide additional documents or information. If you fail to answer these requests, you won’t receive a visa.
- Insufficient Finances: If you can’t provide proof that you can support your trip to Australia, you won’t be granted a visa. It’s important to the Immigration Office to know that you are capable of financially supporting yourself.
Other Pointers to Avoid Student Visa Rejection in Australia
There are other pointers that must be taken care of by students while applying for a student visa in Australia to avoid application rejection through their corresponding recommendations as well:
Australia Student Visa Rejection History
It is necessary that you mention the truth about recent student visa rejections upon asking. It is recommended to mention the exact reason for your rejection within Australia or some other country. While being honest, please keep in mind that you do not need to mention the information on visa rejections on the other types of visas. This includes tourist visas, work permits, exchange visitor visas, immigrant visas, etc. You should not discuss the rejections apart from the student visa applied you for Australia or some other country.
Read: All about post-study work permit in Australia
Bearing Educational Expenses
It would be best if you assured the visa offers that you are capable of bearing the overall expenses required to pursue education in Australia. This includes tuition fees, living costs, travel allowances, and other miscellaneous expenses needed to study in a foreign country.
If the document checklist indicates that the applicants must provide evidence of their financial capacity, by attaching evidence to the visa application. Australian student visa applications may be refused without notification. The living costs are required to be maintained and the source of income is to be declared and provided for along with the visa application indicating the cost of living in Australia. Actual living costs vary throughout Australia.
Proof of Enough Money to Cover Living Expenses in Australia
The following proofs must be shown in order enough money to cover the costs and expenses of your travel and your stay in Australia. You could give us evidence of:
- deposits of money from a financial institution
- government loans or loans from a financial institution
- scholarships or similar financial support
Alternatively, applicants can also provide evidence of their parents or their partner's income who had a personal annual income of at least AUD 62,222 in the past year immediately before the applicant applies. In case of getting along with family member(s), applicants must demonstrate either their parents’ or partner’s income of at least AUD 72,592. The annual living costs in Australia are given below for reference:
- For students/guardians: AUD 21,041
- For partners coming with the applicants: AUD 7,362
- For a child accompanying the applicant: AUD 3,152
You may be required to take an education loan, which you would need to mention in the application along with a certainty that you can bear the expenses. If you fail to provide the supporting financial documents required to prove your capability of affording the educational and living cost in a foreign country, chances are your Visa application would be rejected.
Check: Scholarships in Australia
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
Applicants should be able to clarify their sole purpose of studying while applying for a student visa in Australia and not exploit their resources. This means that the applicant should not sound to be a threat to the jobs for the locals or a person who is willing to run a side business during study tenure. GTE requires applicants to submit the following details while applying for a student visa in Australia clearly and without any false information to avoid student visa rejection:
- Previous study-related information like - academic transcripts showing qualifications, name of the education provider(s), length of study and certificates of attainment.
- If there is a gap in the previous study then quote the reasons including why the applicant was not able to not maintain enrolment.
- Current employment details include current employer, company address, employment period and details of designation. Also the name and contact details of a co-worker or manager who can confirm the circumstances of the applicant's employment.
- Ties to the home country or country of residence by providing evidence of financial, family or social ties. Applicants need to show they have significant reasons to return home.
- The economic situation in the home country or country of residence by submitting documents showing employment or business activities for 1 year before submitting a student visa application along with potential employment offers including salary and other benefits, after course completion from Australia and most importantly income tax returns or bank statements.
- Employment in a third country shows employment offers, including salaries and other benefits, after completing the course from Australia.
Applicants are recommended to include as much information and evidence as possible in their GTE statement to help the authorities assess their student visa application without any hurdles. Also pursuing a part-time job to support one's living expenses within Australia needs to be mentioned with a clear intention. Additionally, working as a trainee or an intern in the industry related to their study of the field is something that complements the course they aspire to join.
Why Australia over other countries?
This includes smartly portraying why you are interested in studying in Australia and not in Indian or any other country. You should be able to identify that you are going to the country’s specifically institution only because of the curriculum and facilities the institute has to offer. Smartly establish how you would not benefit pursuing the chosen course within your country and how the exact course is not available anywhere else than Australia. You may also take about the industry exposure you would gain there. Check: Why study in Australia?
IMPORTANT: Never express your desire of working professionally or settling down in Australia while applying for your Student Visa.
Once these points are taken care of, specifically in the case of Australia, the chances of your Visa rejection would reduce. Apart from all these points, there are always things that can be used as icing on the cake to enhance the strengths of visa applications.
If your Visa application has been rejected once, you might want to refer: What to do if your student Visa gets rejected?.
Need more tips related to Visa Applications? Check out Interview tips for student visa.
Australian Visa Application Rejection FAQs
Q. What are the broad reasons for Australia student visa application refusal?
- Invalid or expired passport
- Application form has missing information or documents.
- Not up to the mark Australian visa character certificate.
- Not financially sound
- Criminal cases on applicant
Q. Can I appeal for Australian student visa application refusal?
Q. What is the application fee for AAT for Australian student visa application refusal?
Q. Is there a discount for AAT fee upon visa application refusal in Australia?
Q. Can I apply for a student visa again in Australia upon rejection?
Q. What if the applicant refuses to accept AAT's decision of Australian visa rejection?
Q. How should an applicant work out his/her expenses while applying for a student visa in Australia to avoid rejection?
- 1 year of your course fees (or pro rata fees, if your course is less than 12 months)
- 1 year expenses for living costs for the applicant and their family member(s) - (or pro rata fees, if you are staying less than 12 months)
- School fees for any school-age children who accompany the applicant along (or pro rata fees, if the child will be at school for less than 12 months)
Q. What is the visa rejection rate in Australia?
A passionate writer and a literature fanatic, Aishwarya Bhatnagar has 4+ years of experience - working in EdTech with a strong focus on studying abroad. She holds a postgraduate degree in Linguistics from Delhi Univ... Read Full Bio