The Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is a public research university located in Brisbane City, Queensland, Australia. The university offers real-life educational experiences and solutions with a wide variety of courses and programmes. QUT offers over 100 bachelor's, master's, and doctoral courses and programmes in various fields of study. The university offers academic certificates and degrees in major study areas, including Architecture, Business, Creative Industries, Education, Health & Community, Information Technology, Science and Engineering, and so on. QUT is particularly famous for its research-oriented programmes like STEM, accelerated by an intense collaboration of women and traditional cultural background. The university is also known for its world-class infrastructure and avant-garde academics. Three educational programmes of the university are conducted at different places - two in Brisbane and one in Canberra.
- Courses Offered
- Eligibility & Documents Required
- Application & Tuition Fees
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Admission Process
- Student Diversity & Preferred Profile
- Part Time Work While Studying
- Campuses & Accommodation
- University Contact Information
What all courses are available to international students?
The university offers 362 graduate, undergraduate, master's, and doctorate programmes to international students in the following study areas:
The QUT offers pathway options for international students that do not meet the direct entry requirements of their chosen courses. These include:
Eligibility & Documents Required
What are the eligibility requirements?
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) acknowledges students based on their administrative performance and capacity to succeed. The completion of Grade 12 is mandatory for international students to apply for undergraduate programs, and a graduation degree is compulsory while applying for post-graduate degrees. The eligibility criteria vary from course to course.
- Minimum age requirement: Applicants should be at least 18 years of age by the date of commencement of the program.
- Minimum English language requirement: See the table below:
Note: Some programs may have higher score requirements. Check the university’s website for more detail.
Know more about these exams:
What all documents are needed for application?
All documents submitted during the application process need to be in English. If not, the students are advised to get them translated and certified by an authorized officer. Some additional requirements include auditions, interviews, or portfolios.
The basic documents necessary for undergraduate and graduate students are as follows:
- Course and grade information from Grade 9-12
- Academic transcripts
- High school equivalency diploma
- ACT and SAT scores
- English proficiency test score
- GMAT/GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Financial documents
- Letters of Recommendation (LOR)
- Supplementary documents, as per course requirement
Application & Tuition Fees
Is there any application fees?
International students are required to pay AUD 100 as an application fee for all programs. The application fee is non-refundable and can be paid within the QUT application portal.
What is the fee structure of courses offered by the university?
The estimation of the fee structure of the different courses for international students is as follows:
Note: QUT may adjust or change program tuition fees and other expenses every calendar year. Check the university website for the exact fee structure of the current year.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Is there any scholarship or financial aid available for international students?
The Queensland University of Technology offers various scholarships to all full-time degree-seeking international students. For graduate and undergraduate candidates, the following scholarships are available:
- Brown Group Biomedical Engineering and Material Scholarships: A scholarship of AUD 27,082 is offered to students who apply for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD).
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Programme: This scholarship is offered to students who start EAP programmes and are offered AUD 6,750 that covers the tuition fee.
- School of Accountancy Honours Scholarship: A scholarship of AUD 10,000 is offered to students who apply for the Bachelor of Business (Honours) course. If a candidate holds another scholarship, they cannot avail of this scholarship.
- Innovation Metrics Research Scholarship: An amount of AUD 5,000 per year is offered to students who meet QUT's PhD admission criteria that includes first-class honours in the research field of Business, Management Economics, and Data Science.
- MBA & EMBA Scholarships: A scholarship of AUD 500 is offered to students who have a GMAT score of 600-699 and AUD 1,000 to the candidates who scored 700 or more. Apart from this, there are other conditions to avail of this scholarship which can be found on the university website.
- QUT College ATAR Scholarship: Undergraduate students who have studied the Australian curriculum are offered a scholarship of AUD 3,120 in the first semester.
- QUT Excellence Scholarship: A scholarship of AUD 30,000 is offered to students in all disciplines who have permanent residency in New Zealand or Australia and international students who have completed high school in Australia.
- Equity Scholarships Scheme: An amountof AUD 1,500 for one year is offered to international students who have low household income and are experiencing financial hardships.
- International Merit Scholarship: This scholarship covers 25 per cent of the tuition fee of international students who complete a qualifying course, meet English proficiency requirements, and receive an admission offer letter from the college in QUT.
Apart from these, the university also offers a few awards for the STEM courses, such as:
- Elefteria & John Polichronis Bursary
- Science & Engineering Financial Hardship Bursary
- Equity scholarships scheme
- Triple Crown Scholarship
For more information on these scholarships and awards, check the university website.
When do the admissions start?
Most of the UG and PG programs are offered in the end of February and June. The admissions and closing dates for the semester I and II for undergraduate and graduate programs are as follows:
On-time Closing Date
Final Closing Date
January 23–February 26
June 12–July 23
For Postgraduate courses, candidates will have to check specific course pages and the respective closing dates at university’s official website.
Note: Exact closing dates may vary each academic year or as per the programme. Check the university's website for the respective course and closing dates for the current year. International applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible or by the dates recommended for their country/region.
How to apply to UG and PG courses?
Undergraduate and graduate students can apply to QUT directly through its online application portal.
Step 1: Open the QUT Portal.
Step 2: Create your account and fill in details like email address, citizenship status, password, phone number, first and last name, etc.
Step 3: Fill in the reason for application and answer questions like, “Are you applying for a degree or course?”, “What is your citizenship status?” etc., and after that, the following page will open.
Step 4: Select your college campus and apply after filling in all the details of the campus in your account. Ensure to fill in all the sections before reviewing and submitting the form.
When will I hear from the university after I submit my application?
The university assesses the applications with their respective policies and procedures. Usually, international applicants receive a decision within four to eight weeks of submitting a complete application. It can take a longer time, depending upon the field of study. You can check the university's website for more updates on the time slot.
Student Diversity & Preferred Profile
What are the chances to get into this university?
QUT’s acceptance rate is 40 per cent, which increases each academic year as it enrols more students across its various programmes. Generally, the offer of admission is given to the students who meet the minimum requirements of the university. Admission to QUT award courses is determined on the basis of merit and perceived probability of academic success with special provisions made for underrepresented community groups. Additionally, admission to QUT can be based on the recognition of prior learning allowing access to the broadest range of students.
How many Indian/international students are studying at the university?
The Queensland University of Technology is one of the most sought-after study destinations for international students as it offers over 100 courses. In 2019, the university witnessed over 50,000 student enrolments, including 9,769 international students from all over the world.
Part Time Work While Studying
Can I work while studying here?
International students enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or graduate programmes at QUT can work on or off-campus without a work permit as per the government rules. The university has a website called ‘UniHub’, where it lists jobs, work experience opportunities, career workshops, employers, etc., for students who are looking for employment. Students have to log in with their username and password provided by the university and apply for jobs and access opportunities.
Apart from that, the university offers work experience opportunities like Work Integrated Learning (WIL) and None-for-credit work experience for interested students. The students can also work individually and outside of the university. To meet the basic requirements, international candidates should have:
- Legitimate study permit
- Meet the study permit on and off-campus eligibility criteria
- Enrolled in a study program with a duration of more than six months
- Have a SIN (Social Insurance Number) for verification purposes
- Already enrolled and started the study program
The timing for off-campus employment includes 10-20 hours of work per week during a regular session. During breaks and vacations, a candidate can work up to 40 hours a week and not more than that. Interested students can check the career centre for off-campus jobs on the university website.
Campuses & Accommodation
How many colleges and campuses does the university have?
The Queensland University of Technology has three campuses ¾ Gardens Point, Kelvin Grove, and Canberra. Each of the campuses have on-campus academic, recreational, and support facilities. The university comprises five faculties that are further divided into various academic schools and departments.
Is on-campus housing available?
On-campus housing is not available at the university. The total population of the university makes it hard to provide accommodation services. In this case, QUT offers safe and secure housing near the university to international and national students. They are fully furnished houses. The majority of students stay near the area in the university's accommodation services. The charges vary from room to room, but the average price is AUD 109 per month. International candidates can apply for a supervision programme at the university's website to find accommodation. The registration fee for the supervision programme is AUD 110 and a daily fee of AUD 6.60.
Students can rent a residential college like Raymont Residential College. Such residential colleges offer housing to students from different colleges and universities. Currently, over 150 students are living on its premises. Additionally, the university offers off-campus housing facilities that provide resources and listings of private-owner housing options near the university area. Other than that, students can also stay in rental rooms, units or apartments, rental houses, shared flats, hostels, hotels, etc.
Cost of Living
University Contact Information
Whom should I contact in case of any doubts?
Students can contact the university in case of any queries:
Address: The Queensland University of Technology, 2 George St. Brisbane City QLD 4000, Australia