Medicine is one of the most sought after courses among the young in India. The number of young students wanting to become a doctor or pursue a career in medicine is only rising steeply. The number of Indian students looking to pursue medical studies abroad is also on a rise and with state-of-the-art government colleges, and world-class faculty in India one is often left wondering, the reason behind this trend.
READ: Top MBBS Colleges Abroad
Research has shown how the availability of a limited number of government seats every year, high tuition costs at private medical universities are pushing Indian students to foreign soil. While in 2019, a total of 15 lakh students appeared for a mere 60,000 government seats, in 2020 a little over 15 lakh students took the NEET exam to be eligible to the 79,855 medical/dental seats vacant this time. Candidates who are unable to make the cut and secure a seat are then required to look at private medical institutes that charge students exorbitant tuition fees. Students opting for a private medical institute in India are required to pay around 60 Lakhs as compared to the 4 lakhs charged at government medical colleges. Hence, these factors combined with choice and personal preferences have led to candidates opting for pursuing medical studies abroad, every year.
Some of the best countries for MBBS study abroad are
Why pursue MBBS Abroad?
Apart from the reasons elucidated above, popular factors that push Indians towards pursuing their MBBS abroad are as follows:
- Universities abroad offer a larger number of seats every year that are required to be filled by international students.
- The cost of pursuing MBBS abroad is at par or lower as compared to private universities in India.
- Universities/institutes abroad are well known to provide top-notch facilities, world-class faculty, and globally recognized degrees to its students.
- Better ROI: on successful completion of their course students are allowed to practice in the host country. This provides them an opportunity to earn big money.
- Students can always come back to India and practice. Students who have pursued their MBBS abroad are only required to qualify the MCI approved Foreign Medical Graduates Examination or FMGE to practice in their home turf.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: Students can also apply for financial aid and scholarships to pursue their medical studies abroad.
- Universities and colleges abroad also provide paramount safety and security to study abroad aspirants so they feel at home in a foreign country.
- To attract international students, a lot of the colleges use English as their primary language of instruction in medical universities. This again works as an advantage in attracting international students.
Eligibility Criteria to pursue MBBS Abroad for Indian Students
While each country could have its own set of rules and eligibility criteria, today we are going to talk about the general eligibility guideline for Indian Students to get into the top countries to pursue MBBS abroad.
- The student is required to have attained the age of 17 on December 31 of the year he is pursuing his admission.
- The student must have completed his class 12.
- The student must have an aggregate percentage of at least 50% or above in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and must have studied English as a compulsory subject.
- The candidate would also be required to produce an Eligibility Certificate issued by the Medical Council of India at the time of admission to Foreign Medical Universities.
- Students are also required to clear the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) exam. This is mandatory even if the student is planning to pursue his medical studies abroad.
- Advantages and Disadvantages of MBBS Abroad
- List of MCI Approved MBBS Universities Abroad
- Eligibility Requirements & Admission Process for Studying MBBS Abroad
Now let us talk about the top universities to pursue MBBS abroad for Indian students.
Indian students who want to pursue their medical studies from Bangladesh can apply for direct admissions under the SAARC Countries quota – that allows students from India to study the Programme at a very normal fee. Students can apply to universities in Bangladesh also if they do now want to go through the SAARC program. Pursuing the MBBS course in Bangladesh would cost students approximately anything between 30 – 60 lakhs for the entire program.
Top Medical Colleges in Bangladesh include
- Bangladesh Medical College
- Delta Medical College
- East West Medical College
- Jahurul Islam Medical College
- Bangladesh Medical College
- Monno Medical College & Hospital
- Medical College for Women and Hospital
- Eastern Medical College
- Enam Medical College and Hospital
According to the Ministry of Education (MoE) of the People's Republic of China, only 45 universities in China are qualified to teach MBBS degrees in English and admit international students (including India). So, if Indian students want to pursue MBBS in English then they have to take admission in any one of these educational institutions else they have to pursue medical studies in the Chinese language.
The cost of medical studies in China ranges from INR 3 Lakh to INR 8 Lakh annually, which is the reason they are highly popular amongst the Indian and international students as they get quality education at a reasonable budget. This is a major reason why international students prefer to pursue MBBS from China. In China, Clinical Medicine is taught either in Chinese or English medium. Apart from this, Clinical Integrative Medicine is the other English medium course that includes Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine. These courses are also recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). READ: Why should you pursue MBBS from China?
Top Medical Colleges in China include
- Shantou University
- Kunming Medical University
- North Sichuan Medical University
- Southwest Medical University
- Xiamen University
- China Three Gorges University
- Zhengzhou University
- Nantong University
Another preferred destination for Indian students to pursue medical studies is Nepal. The close proximity and relaxed immigration policies have made this landlocked country a major hub among Indian students wanting to study MBBS abroad. The tuition costs for the entire program ranges from 30 – 45 lakhs for the entire program. Nepal and India also share cultural similarities, and climate making it easy for Indian students to settle abroad. Some of the top colleges in Nepal to pursue medical studies are listed below.
Top Medical Colleges in Nepal include
- Kathmandu University (KU)
- College Of Medical Sciences (CMS Nepal)
- National Medical College
- Nepal Medical College
- Janaki Medical College
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS)
- Kathmandu Medical College
High quality of medical education combined with low tuition fees is one of the prime reasons for students to pursue MBBS from Russia. All Russian Medical Universities are recognized by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Medical Council of India (MCI) and 12 of these universities teach MBBS in the English medium. To attract the best minds, the Russian Government provides a subsidy for education and the MBBS fee in Russia is low keeping the very point in mind. Due to its international affiliations, all students who pursue MBBS from Russia can practise anywhere in the world including India. READ: Is it Worth Studying MBBS in Russia?
Top Medical Colleges in Russia include
- Belgorod National Research University (BelSu)
- Nizhny Novgorod State Medical University (Nizhgma)
- Stavropol State Medical University
- Bashkir State Medical University
- The Orenburg State Medical University
- Mordovia State University
- Northern State Medical University
- Pirogov Russian National Research Medical University, Moscow
- Siberian State Medical University
- Ryazan Medical University, Ryazan
- Kuban State Medical University
Located in Eastern Europe, Ukraine is one of the most sought after study abroad destinations for medical studies. The country is home to top government medical universities offering MBBS, MD and other medical/ medicine-related degrees to students. Top medical universities in Ukraine are all recognized by major organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). Medical degrees of qualifying Graduates are recognized everywhere and are eligible to apply for medical positions in any corner of the world. Popular medical fields of MBBS in medical universities of Ukraine include Dentistry; General medicine; Pharmacy and Pediatrics. Candidates are not required to appear for any entrance examination to get admission to a medical university. The average duration of an MBBS Programme in Ukraine is for 5.8 years.
Top medical colleges in Ukraine
- Kharkiv National Medical University
- Lugansk State Medical University (LSMU)
- M. Gorky National Medical University (DMNU)
- Bogomolets National Medical University
- Ternopil State Medical University
- Donetsk State Medical University
- National Medical University
- Vinnytsia National Medical University
Candidates are reminded that they would be required to clear the MCI approved Foreign Medical Graduates Examination or FMGE to be able to practice in India. It is established that studying abroad is cheaper compared to the tuition fees in India however, candidates should always go for MCI approved universities and avoid dodgy study institutions.
Download this article as PDF to read offlineDownload Guide