How to prepare for Duolingo English Test: The Duolingo English Test is a modern language proficiency test designed for international students and institutions. Candidates can take the test from their homes and no appointment is needed for taking the test, as candidates can take it anytime at their convenience. It also has an upgraded section where candidates can take a video interview of 10 minutes and record their answers to open-ended questions. In this article, we will inform you how to pass the Duolingo exam.
In this article, we will inform you how to prepare for Duolingo Test. These tips will help you prepare for the exam. The test has been designed in such a way that it tests candidates' English Language skills like reading, writing, listening, and speaking. However, you can prepare for the exam by learning and practicing some English Language skills. Reading some, high-level material like international magazines, newspapers, and practicing writing regularly will help you in honing your skills. Apart from this, you can watch English movies and converse with people having English as their native language. You can also get a lot of free resources online for preparing for the exam.
If you want to familiarize yourself with the real test, you can visit the Duolingo site and give the sample test. Although the sample test is shorter in duration (eight minutes) and the score range is less accurate and unofficial. By taking the sample test, you will come to know about the real test and can experience what is going to come in the actual exam.
The best part about the sample test is that it is free and you can take it as many times as you want. Also, once you complete the sample test, it shares an estimated score range, so, you can judge your preparedness.
Know the rules clearly
As the test can be taken online, Duolingo follows a rigorous process and has framed various sets of rules for candidates. While the complete test experience is recorded and reviewed by the proctors. Proctors also make sure that there is no background noise, or anybody is present in your room at the time of the test. Apart from this, candidates cannot wear earphones and interact with anyone. Candidates are not allowed to use a phone or any other device while giving the exam. Make sure you follow all these rules otherwise you have to take the test again.
Download this guide to read it offline
Duolingo Preparation Tips
Scoring well in any exam requires consistent preparation, dedication and a positive outlook. In order to score well in Duolingo, one may join clasees to enhance his/her basic language skills or may indulge in self-study. It all depends upon one's level of English whether personal classes are required for preparation or not. But it is always good to combine both self-study with coaching as a qualified coach will help candidates clear their doubts in a much authentic manner. Some of the tips which Duolingo candidates can follow for performing well in the test are listed below:
- Polish your vocabulary everyday: The mantra to obtain good scores has always been 'regular practice'. As one's vocabulary plays a significant role in this test, learning new words everyday is a plus point. Maintain a seperate notebook for vocabulary and jot down 2-3 words from a dictionary everyday with their meanings. Revise the same before sleeping every day. You may even note down words unknown to you which someone uses while interacting with you. This is another good method to improve your verbal glossary. Other sources from where you may learn new words are books, magazines, online blogs, newspapers, etc.
- Work on your listening skills: You may improve your listening skills by watching your favourite English webseries, documentary, or dramas. The best part is that you can replay all of these in case you miss out on any part or have misheard a word and hear it again clearly.
- YouTube Videos: Nowadays, with an easy access to the internet, almost all of us have video apps on your cellphones. Youtube is a great source to practice your English skills as the channel has multiple English learning lessors, live coaching classes, vocabulary pronunciation, synonyms/antonyms videos and the like all available for free.
- Descriptive excercise: As Duolingo test has an excercise which requires candidates to describe a thing, event or something mentioned in their own language, candidates can very well practice the same at their homes only. Just focus on any thing lying next to you or nearby you and write 2-3 short descriptive sentences about it as creatively as you can.
- Speaking excercise: Just like the descriptive excercise, in order to improve your speaking skills select any topic of your choice and speak for 30 seconds to 1 minute about it. Record the entire thing and listen to it again. Mark where all can you improve and re-do the entire excercise again till the time you feel confident about your preparation.
- Attempting sample papers: Before appearing for the actual paper it is always a good idea to go through some sample papers to get an idea about your level of preparation. The official Duolingo website has a free sample paper as well which one can attempt.
Suitable environment for giving the test
As you will give the exam online from your home, make sure you have all the equipment required to take the test, so you can take the exam hassle-free.
- Your passport, driver's license, or government ID
- A quiet, well-lit room
- 1 hour of free time
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer
Your computer should also have
- A supported browser (Chrome, Opera)
- A front-facing camera
- A microphone
When you share the result of the Duolingo English Test with the university both the adaptive test and the video interview are included in it. In this test, you will have a choice of two question types of each video interview and the writing sample. Then you have to speak for one to three minutes and write up for up to five minutes. Also, there is a timer that you can track through the exam. If you are not satisfied with your performance, you can take the test again. You can take the Duolingo English test as many times as you want.
Duolingo English Test Preparation Tips FAQs
Q. How difficult is the Duolingo English test?
Q. How is the DET scored?
Q. How to check the Duolingo score?
Q. How many times one can take the Duolingo English test?
Q. How long does it take to get Duolingo results?
Q. How to retake a Duolingo?
Q. Can you reset your Duolingo?
Q. How to delete your Duolingo account?
Q. How long is the Duolingo test valid?
Q. What all you need for taking the Duolingo test?
- Avalid photo ID
- A well-lit room
- A working computer with a front-facing camera
- Good internet connection
- A supported browser
Q. What is the Duolingo score ranges?
2 months ago
I need the official email for the test
6 months ago
What is the official page to book the test?
3 months ago
Hi, we have given the official page link in the above article.
7 months ago
I want to do Ms In USA, does writing Duolingo add value to my profile? and can I get admission to a good university by showing my Duolingo score?
7 months ago
Hi, just the Duolingo score won't be sufficient for securing admission to an MS program in the US. You need to fulfill all other requirements of the university.
9 months ago
After book the exam. How much days the exam is valid to attempt. Please reply me?
9 months ago
Hi Parvinder, you need to take the exam within 21 days of purchase.
Is any of negative comment on Quora about Duolingo English test true ?
10 months ago
Hi Aman, someone may have negative experience but if the university is accepting Duolingo marks then you can take the exam.