Piyush KohliStudy Abroad Expert
Once you decide to take your career a leap ahead, the next logical step is to start preparing for the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) exam. There are different resources available for the preparation of the GMAT. One can get GMAT prep books and join online GMAT forums, which help you prepare for the exam. As numerous books are available in the market, it always becomes difficult to understand which book or resource is correct for the preparation of GMAT. In this post, we will talk about various GMAT prep resources and which books are best for cracking the Graduate Management Admission Test. We have provided a comprehensive list of the best GMAT study books and resources that will give you an edge over other aspirants. We have also given a six months study plan for the GMAT exam.
Rigorous practice sessions and determination will help you gain the required skill sets to achieve a high GMAT score. With numerous test prep books available, it becomes way more difficult to select the right one.
Important factors to determine GMAT Books and Resources
These key factors will help you determine the right test prep book or resource to tackle GMAT:
- Forming The Perfect Strategy: It is not just about solving complex questionnaire, but after going through the book you should frame a successful strategy to stay ahead of others. It can be identifying the priority section which you will be solving first or it can be related to time management. These skills will definitely prove to be handy during exam time. You can also follow GMAT preparation tips given by experts in order to utilize your time effectively.
- Practicing Right Set of Questions: The GMAT exam is based on a specific pattern, so, it is always important you practice the right set of questions, which can help you out in clearing the exam with a decent score.
- Must Include Answers with Detailed Explanations: The GMAT preparation material and GMAT test book must offer answer keys, so, one can understand the correct method to solve different types of questions. The answer keys should give detailed explanations about the correct answer, so, the aspirant can understand the concept behind it.
Download this guide to read it offline
Here is a list of the best GMAT preparation books:
GMAT™ Official Advanced Questions: The latest GMAT Official Guide by The Graduate Management Admission Council™ (GMAC™), offers a mix of easy, medium, and hard questions. The book comprises of 150 Quantitative Reasoning and 150 Verbal Reasoning questions. This is the only test preparation material that exclusively contains hard questions from past GMAT exams.
Manhattan Prep Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set
The Manhattan GMAT books cover each and every aspect of the GMAT exam. The complete set of books comprise of ten guides covering each area from analytic to integrated reasoning to Mathematics. You have the option of buying these books in a bundle or individually. Apart from the books, one also gets one-year access to practice tests and web material. These books will help you in strengthening your skillset to perform exemplary. The study material and guides offered by the Manhattan are considered as the best GMAT preparation material by the reviewers. Also, the practice tests available with the books help you prepare as you are giving the actual test. Practice questions also come with a detailed explanation for the answers.
GMAC GMAT Official Guide Bundle 2022
It gives users exclusive access to the same questions online. Apart from this, users can also access to additional 58 integrated reasoning questions. The official GMAT guide also includes more than 200 never seen before questions. It also includes 900 questions from the past exams with detailed answer explanations. With this users can practice with real questions from past GMAT tests and optimize their study time. Also, users can build their own practice tests using the questions provided in the guide. One drawback of this guide is that it does not provide full-length test questions. However, this guide gives users an edge by offering real test questions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Plus 2022
The biggest advantage of studying from the Kaplan guide is that it provides the perfect content required for the exam and excludes the concepts that can prove to be a distraction. The Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook helps you in framing advanced strategies to deal with verbal questions. Also, the Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook will help you in building strong basics in the quantitative section. This book definitely provides a helping hand to those struggling with quant. The study material by Kaplan is always considered the best GMAT study book by the reviewers.
Veritas Prep Complete GMAT Course Set
Those looking to enhance their knowledge in each topic should go for Veritas Prep GMAT Set. It covers each topic in detail and the books are also written nicely. Further, the practice questions offered in the books are not only unique but difficult as well. One of the drawbacks of this set is that it comes with only one online full-length practice test, whereas other publishers are offering much more practice tests. Although Veritas is offering hundreds of practice questions online which can help the aspirants in increasing their score.
Apart from the prep books, you can also download GMAT preparation material free from different reputed forums. Else you can join different forums like the official GMAT forum and post your query there, it will be answered by the experts. There are numerous (free and paid) online GMAT tests that you can take and enhance your skills. With little effort, you can get free GMAT prep material which can also prove to be useful.
No amount of books or GMAT prep material will prove to be fruitful until you adopt an extensive study plan, rigorous training sessions, and discipline which are key to achieve a high GMAT score.
6 months study plan for GMAT
Everyone has a pace, which they follow while preparing for the GMAT exam, and we understand that. Therefore, if your colleagues or friends have achieved their targeted GMAT scores within 3 months or say 5 months then you need not bother about it. Here, we have formulated a 6 month GMAT study plan which you should follow while preparing for the exam. Some students can achieve the targets set in the six-month guide a little early as they focus full time on GMAT preparation while others prepare for the GMAT exam and manage their job or work simultaneously.
How much you should study per week
Try to aim to study around 5-7 hours a week and you can gradually increase the time as the exam date approaches.
- If you have not taken the GMAT exam, recently then first prepare the strategy on how you will proceed further.
- Practice RC and CR
Hours/ month: 20-25
Try to complete 35% of the course
Try to complete 50% of the course
- Go for a mock test once you complete 50% of the course
- After completing AWA lessons send essay forgrading
- Read AWA section on overview in OG
- Continue with the external prep material
- Try to complete 65-70% of the course
- Practice other prep material covering all GMAT question types
- Submit two essays for grading
- Go for two mock tests and monitor your progress
- Submit 3 essays for grading in the last month
- Complete your post-theory practice
- Go for three mock tests
Six months include 26 weeks, whereas, the study plan mentioned above can be completed in 24 weeks. We understand that it may not be possible to study continuously for such a long time; so, you can modify timing according to your convenience and can take breaks whenever you feel exhausted. Also, remember, it is best to study with a timetable and go for one section/lesson at once as grasping too much at once may not work for many.
All the best!