Piyush KohliStudy Abroad Expert
It is obvious that if you want to do well on IELTS you need to have a good command of the English language. Obviously, the best way to improve your skills for this test is to take coaching classes if you are totally new to the basics of the English language. But for those who prefer the option of self-studies, you probably will need to buy a grammar book, along with helpful software and CDs.
There are various choices when it comes to buying a good IELTS guide, but the final selection will depend on your current English level. However, this list will tell you which books are the best overall for the general readership.
1. IELTS Tutor Kit - The IELTS Tutor has a 40 minute CD with an accompanying booklet. This kit has been designed to help non-English speaking students achieve success. Its content is unique and it prepares students for the IELTS Test by providing tips and suggestions in a visual format. It is a self-study aid and if used correctly, it provides students with around 100 hours of tuition.
2. Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS 1 - Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS 1 contains four practice tests for the Academic module of the IELTS exam, plus Reading and Writing papers for the General Training. The book contains an introduction to the modules of the exam together with an explanation of different question types and how to approach them.
Download this guide to read it offline
3. The Cambridge IELTS Course Workbook - Insight into IELTS offers comprehensive preparation for the IELTS. Insight into IELTS also introduces students to the types of tasks they are likely to meet during the exam. This is a workbook providing extensive practice material for the IELTS examination. It prepares students for the updated Speaking Paper and contains vocabulary builder activities to develop the vocabulary. The answer key of the recorded material makes it ideal for self-study.
4. Step Up to IELTS Personal Study Book with Answers – This book is the perfect choice for intermediate-level students who find most IELTS books too challenging for them. This book covers essential exam skills for the Academic Training modules in 60 hours of teaching time. It provides students with advice on how to maximize their band scores. The practice sections at the end of each unit constitute sample IELTS tests.
5. Cambridge Grammar for IELTS Student's Book with Answers and Audio CD - This excellent book fills a crucial gap in the learning materials available to the IELTS students, and is currently the only book that helps IELTS students in this area. Although IELTS doesn't contain a specific grammar module, but the appropriate usage of grammar is undoubtedly important for success in the other modules. All grammar points needed for IELTS are covered in the book and are presented in context through listening and self-discovery activities provided on the CD.