How to get a German Student Visa: Requirements, Fees, Checklist and Processing Time
How to Apply for your Germany Student Visa
German Student Visa: Since the type of visa granted to the aspirant depends on the purpose of the visit to Germany, for academic purposes, students will need to obtain a Student visa. To study in Germany one needs a student visa called a “Studentenvisum” in German. The specific requirements for the Student visa will vary depending on the selected level of study, the applicant's educational background and the duration of the said course.
Applicants will generally require two fully completed application forms and required declaration in duplicate, proof of acceptance and enrolment to an accredited academic institution in Germany, and two passport photographs. Applicants must possess a valid passport/travel document, and provide proof of financial support and also proof of ties to their home country. In the case of a short-term course spanning not more than six months, the applicant would be required to attain a Schengen visa.
Pre-requisites for the German Student Visa Interview
While you work on brushing up your conversation skills for the Visa interview, make sure you’ve filled up all the important forms, including the Germany student visa application form.
Checklist for a German National Visa
Before filling out the application form and booking an appointment, please prepare two identical sets of the following documentation for your visa:
- Valid Passport (issued within the last 10 years and valid for at least another year as of the date of visa application; passports with observations regarding the front data page cannot be accepted) with at least two empty pages
- Application form & declaration (under Section 54 of the Residence Act) duly signed
- Declaration for Additional contact and legal representation information
- Copy of your passport’s data page (A4 size copy)
- Statement of purpose / Motivation letter
- Proof of admittance to the study course/preparatory college (original and 2 copies) including information on the language of instruction
- Where not confirmed by the University in the admission notification: Proof of the language skills in the language of instruction for the study course or the preparatory course (without a preparatory language course as a rule at least B2-level in the language of instructions) (original and 2 copies)
- Where applicable: Certificates of other academic qualifications (original and 2 copies)
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of financial means to cover the costs for the time of your studies by one of the following documents:
- confirmation of a German / EU scholarship/stipend or
- “Verpflichtungserklärung” (formal obligation letter) by sponsor living in Germany or
- blocked account for the first year of your stay, amounting to 10.332,--
When applying for a visa, you can provide evidence that you can meet your living costs by opening a blocked bank account. You have free choice of provider. To the best of the Embassy/Consulate General’s knowledge, Kotak Mahindra Bank or Capital India Finance Ltd offers blocked accounts in India that meet the requirements of the visa procedure. Information on providers that offer this service worldwide is available on the Federal Foreign Office website.
- Three passport pictures according to biometric specifications, not older than six months
- Visa fee of 75 € payable in INR only (pls. check our website for payment options and applicable exchange rate)
- Travel health insurance is valid on arrival in Germany to the date of enrollment at the university (mentioned in your admission letter) (approx. three months). Kindly refer to www.india.diplo.de/visa to find out about the travel health insurances accepted
Please prepare two identical application sets with the above-mentioned documents and bring your original certificates as well as your original employment contract along. Please DO NOT staple any documents. Please note that the German Missions reserve the right to ask for additional documents or the verification of certificates, for which additional fees would be charged. Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.
source: German Mission in India
Steps to Apply for a German Study Visa for Indian Students
Now that candidates have got their documents in place, let us quickly go through the step-by-step instructions for Indian students looking to study in Germany.
- Step 1: Get your German Study Visa Documents together
- Step 2: Procure photos that meet the biometric photo requirements
- Step 3: Fill out the application form for National Visa
- Step 4: Schedule an Appointment
- Step 5: Pay your Visa Fee
German Study Visa Application Fee
Provided below is the German Student Visa Fee for 2022. Shortly before your appointment, please verify the current exchange rate. The visa fee is to be paid at the end of the visa appointment. The visa fee is not refundable, even if the visa is rejected. In some cases, the visa fee might be waived. Kindly check the official website for more information on the same.
|Age Group | Visa Fee||EUR||INR|
|Adults||75 EUR||6,300 INR|
|Minors (0-17)||37,50 EUR||3,200 INR|
What if a German Student Visa is postponed or not approved?
It can happen at times that a student’s German visa might get postponed, which just means you have to wait longer for an answer from the consulate about your case. Waiting for further response or action, or contacting the consulate, should be the next step. However, if the visa application is refused, you can reapply by paying the visa processing fees again and schedule another appointment.
Possible Reasons for Visa Rejection
- Financial proof shown is not enough to support the student while studying in Germany.
- The applicant has not satisfied the visa officer that the primary intention in Germany is to study.
Arrival in Germany
Once you have arrived in Germany, your passport, German student visa, an offer letter from the university will be verified by an immigration official at your point of entry, to see if and how long you can be admitted. Hence, make sure you have all documentation, including the information for your visa, and photocopies of your passport.
It is said ‘When in Rome do as the Romans do’. Well! Taking a cue from this, consider learning the country’s native language German if you aspire to study in Germany. Things like hoardings, electricity bills and restaurant menus would be in the German language rather than English, so to make life easier a course in German before heading to the country would help in more ways than one.
|Public Universities in Germany.||Cheap and Affordable Universities in Germany|
|Cost of Living in Germany||Cost of Studying in Germany|
Where to Apply for a German Study Visa in India?
You have to submit the student visa application at the German Mission in India responsible for your jurisdiction, as follows:
|Mission||Jurisdiction||Acceptable Modes of Payment|
|German Embassy in New Delhi||Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu, Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Chandigarh, Delhi, Andaman, Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Minicoy, Amindive||
Demand Draft or Cash
(Issued in favour of Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany, New Delhi | Payable in New Delhi)
|German Consulate General Bangalore (Bengaluru)||Karnataka, Kerala||
Only Demand Draft
(Issued in favour of Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Bangalore | Payable in Bangalore)
|German Consulate General in Chennai||Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Union Territory of Puducherry||
Only Demand Draft
(Issued in favour of Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Chennai | Payable in Chennai)
|German Consulate General in Kolkata||The states of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura||
Only Demand Draft
(Issued in favour of Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Kolkata | Payable in Kolkata)
|German Consulate General in Mumbai||Maharashtra, Union States of Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Goa, Madhya Pradesh, Union Territories of Daman, Diu and Dadra, Nagar Haveli||
Only Demand Draft
(Issued in favour of Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany, Mumbai | Payable in Mumbai)
Note: The German Honorary Consul in Goa and the German Honorary Consul in Thiruvananthapuram do not accept visa applications.
Popular Courses in Germany