How to get UK Student Visa in 5 steps
More than 26,000 Indian students apply for the UK Student Visa each year. Want to start out your education journey in the UK? Here’s what you need to know about getting the Visa.
Step 1 - Check if you qualify
To study in the UK as a student you will need to acquire a Tier 4 Visa. If you are yet to be accepted into an institution, then you will need a prospective student visa. UK student visa applications are processed within 3 weeks of the completed application being lodged.
You must be able to show that you have:
- A confirmed place at the school, university or college where you intend to study. It is called a ‘confirmation of acceptance for studies’ (COE).
- Enough money (also known as ‘maintenance or funds’) to cover your course fees and living costs in the UK.
Step 2 - Get your documents ready
For every document you provide, you must include the original document and a photocopy.
- A signed copy of your completed visa application form.
- A valid passport.
- 1 passport sized colour photograph which meets the photo guidelines.
- Evidence of your confirmed place at the University.
- Any previous passports to show your previous travel history.
- If you send a document that is not in English, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be verified.
Step 3 - Apply online
You will need to register and create an account on the official UK Visa website. When you have completed your online application form, you will need to print and sign your completed form.
You must use the online appointment calendar to book an appointment at the visa application centre.When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number.
Step 4 - Pay your application fee
There are 4 ways to pay your visa application fee.
- Payment at Standard Chartered Bank - You can pay your fee at some branches of the Standard Chartered Bank. The bank will issue a demand draft in favour of the 'The British High Commission'.
- Demand draft from a nationalised or foreign bank - You can pay your fee by getting a demand draft issued by a nationalised or a foreign bank. Bank charges for this service will vary. The demand draft must be in favour of the 'The British High Commission’.
- Payment at the visa application centre - You can pay the visa application fee at the visa application centre when you submit your visa application.
- Pay online - You can pay your visa application fee online using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card.
Step 5 – Visit the visa application centre on the appointed date
You must book and attend an appointment at our visa application centre to submit your application and facial photograph and fingerprints.