International students in US are required to have health & accident insurance

1 min read6.0K Views Comment
Piyush Kohli
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Apr 11, 2020 15:28 IST

International students in US are required to have health & accident insurance

The US government requires all international students enrolled at American universities and colleges to have year-round health and accident insurance throughout the duration of their studies. Insurance coverage must be maintained during the summer months as well, even if travelling out of the United States or returning to home country. Many colleges and universities in the US offer a school-sponsored health insurance plan. Many schools require that you enroll in the school-sponsored plan unless you are able to show that you are already covered by another existing international insurance.

You might be interested in these free downloads
Fall Intake in USA 2023
Fall Intake in USA 202315k downloads
Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2023 Intake (Fall Intake)
Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2023 Intak...35k downloads
Study in Australia: Timeline for February 2024 Intake
Study in Australia: Timeline for February 2024 Int...6k downloads

Updates on similar topics are just a click away! Subscribe to curated alerts

The general rules to be followed for the college-sponsored insurance are -

  1. Insurance premiums must be paid in full for the Fall and Spring semesters.
  2. Payment should be made at the start of each semester.
  3. Failure to pay insurance premiums may result in a denied enrollment for future semesters.

It is advisable for international students to go for college-sponsored insurance as they are a lot cheaper than the ones purchased personally. The reason behind the price difference between the two is that the colleges offer group insurance to students, like employers. But if a student wishes, s/he can opt for personal insurance. But it is important to first check whether that insurance is recognized by the college or not.

One more benefit of school-sponsored insurance is that you may enroll dependents into the insurance plan. This option is subjected to each university’s policies. Once you graduate and plan to stay back in the country, you have the option of purchasing a continuing policy. You need to contact the insurance providing company for more information on this, as universities are not concerned with post-studies insurance plans.

About the Author
Piyush Kohli
Study Abroad Expert

With a plethora of knowledge of the education domain, Piyush Kohli has been involved with study abroad for over 5 years and counting. He comes with prior experience on the complexities of the study abroad applicatio... Read Full Bio


We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy.