Statement of Purpose (SOP) for MBA in UK : Samples for Top Business Schools
International students have always preferred studying in the United Kingdom because it provides a fast-track education with maximum practical exposure. In the last decade, pursuing an MBA in UK has gained popularity, and international students, especially from India, are flocking to the UK to pursue an MBA degree from top universities.
Most of the top B-schools in the UK require an essay or a statement of motivation during the application process for the MBA program. However, only a few universities require applicants to submit an SOP for MBA courses. Here, we will discuss the requirements for MBA application in some of the top UK universities.
London Business School (LBS)
LBS was ranked #3 by QS in its 2021 management school rankings. For its MBA application, it has two essay questions of 500 words each. Even though the second essay is optional, it is advisable to answer this prompt as it gives more information about the applicant to the admissions committee.
Updates on similar topics are just a click away! Subscribe to curated alerts
Question 1: What are your post-MBA goals and how will your prior experience and the London Business School programme contribute towards these? (500 words)
- Explain professional, personal, and social goals in detail.
- Avoid writing ‘I want to start my own company and other similar generic statements.
- Explain your business idea and how this MBA would help you achieve it.
- Explain how your prior experience coupled with an MBA would help you achieve your goals.
Question 2 (optional): Is there any other information you believe the Admissions Committee should know about you and your application to London Business School? (500 words)
- Take this opportunity to talk about your professional and personal achievements.
- Any other experiences that have not been covered in detail anywhere.
- If you have been part of any CSR activities or been active in social activities, describe them here.
- You can also talk about your hobbies or other things that you are passionate about to demonstrate that you are an all-rounder.
University of Cambridge
As per the QS 2021 Management School Rankings, Cambridge’s Judge Business School was ranked #8. Here are the main essay questions on the Cambridge MBA application:
A Personal Statement that should not exceed 500 words.
The personal statement should answer the following questions:
- What are your short- and long-term career objectives and what skills/characteristics do you already have that will help you achieve them?
- What actions would you take before and during the MBA to contribute to your career outcome?
- If you are unsure of your post-MBA career path, how would the MBA equip you for the future?
Describe a difficult decision that you had to make. What did you learn from this and how have you changed as a result? (200 words)
- This essay must portray your leadership, confidence, resilient nature, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Keep it short while emphasizing the result and your learning from that experience.
Read: How to write a Leadership Essay?
Describe a time where you worked with a team on a project. What did you learn from the experience and how might you approach it differently today? (200 words)
- This essay should highlight your teamwork and collaborative skills.
- You do not need to include a situation where the project was a failure, rather give creative and innovative solutions based on your recent learning.
If you could give one piece of advice to your 18-year-old self, what would it be? (200 words)
- This need not be a career-oriented answer.
- You may include some personal learning.
- Express your motivated and ambitious side that can thrive under pressure to encourage your past self.
University of Oxford
With a QS ranking of #10 (2021), Oxford’s Said Business School is another competitive business school. For its full-time MBA program, the application requires a supporting statement to this essay prompt: Tell us something that is not covered in your application that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you. (250 words)
Re-applicants need to submit an additional essay: What improvements have you made in your candidacy since you last applied to the Oxford MBA? (250 words)
The admissions team will review these essays and primarily look for the following aspects:
- good communication skills
- leadership potential
- analytical skills
- fit with the Oxford MBA community
Therefore, make sure you highlight the aforementioned points in your answer.
The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE)
Following Oxford, the London School of Economics ranks as #11 as per QS 2021 ranking for management schools. It offers the TRIUM Global Executive MBA program that prepares senior leaders at the top level across all industries to thrive in today’s challenging and complex business environment. You are required to complete three essays where you will need to discuss:
- your motivations for applying to join the program
- your future objectives
- examples of your leadership skills and experiences that have shaped your outlook
University of Warwick
Another top-ranked university by QS 2021 ranking, the University of Warwick offers a full-time, part-time, and executive degree in MBA. During the application process, the university either asks for a personal statement or an SOP. The admissions team highly relies on your resume and references to make a decision.
Read: How to write a Career Progression Essay?
University of Manchester
The University of Manchester offers a full-time MBA program through the Alliance Manchester Business School and requires an application essay. You would also be required to take an online video assessment, the details of which are mailed to you by the school after you complete your application. The application essay must highlight your past experiences and learning. In addition, it must explain how your experiences would contribute to the MBA class. Also, highlight what you aim to learn from this course and how it will help you achieve your goals.
Imperial College London
Ranked #34 by the QS 2021 rankings, Imperial College London is famous for its business-related programs. For the full-time MBA program application, you need to submit a personal statement that demonstrates your suitability for this course. The personal statement should be one side of A4 and include:
- motivations for applying to Imperial and the MBA programme
- professional goals and how an Imperial MBA would help you achieve them
- any other supporting information not included elsewhere on the form that you feel will enhance your application
With a plethora of knowledge of the education domain, Piyush Kohli has been involved with study abroad for over 5 years and counting. He comes with prior experience on the complexities of the study abroad applicatio... Read Full Bio