Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

2 mins read90.7K Views 26 Comments
Anumika Bahukhandi
Study Abroad Expert
Updated on Mar 27, 2023 23:18 IST

Post Study Work Permits for Indian Students in France

No matter what your reason be, if you are looking for studying abroad, you are also aspiring to look for full-time employment after completing your education. There are many reasons why it holds great importance. Studying in the same country can add precious experience on your resume, help you find a permanent place in the country or even help you in repaying that massive student loan. But not everyone can get a job at college. Jobs might take time and every country have different rules regarding the same for international students. Simply put, while the part time work options for international students is important, students also want to understand what are the guidelines for the Post Study Work Permit and Options. This article refers to the rules and guidelines as pertinent for Indian Students studying in or planning to study in France.

Post Study Work Permissions on Student Visa

There are different kinds of student visas available for France and each kind of student visa has built-in eligibility of post-study work permissions. Here’s a quick look at the same.

Updates on similar topics are just a click away! Subscribe to curated alerts


Post Study Work Permit

Visa de court séjour pour etudes


Visa de long séjour temporaire pour etudes


Visa de long séjour etudes


Simply put, students who are planning to take up small and short-term courses in France cannot stay in France. Only students who are taking up long-term courses like bachelors and masters and have a Visa de Long Sejour Etudes or Long Stay Study Visa for France get the permission to stay in the country after completing the course.

Download this guide to read it offline

Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
420 users downloaded this guide

Tenures Allowed

Students Completing Bachelor Studies

Not allowed

Students completing masters’ program

24-month post-study work permit

A student, upon completing studies in France, must as per the immigration rules of the country, leave France. S/He can, however, apply for a residence permit for France if s/he has paid employment. This is applicable for both bachelor's and master’s program and students would have to apply for a work permit.

For master’s students, however, there is good news. While bachelor degree holders can stay on only if they have a work permit, the students pursuing Masters from France get an added advantage. On completing the master’s course, a student can apply for and get a temporary residence permit – APS, for a period of 24 months.

You might be interested in these free downloads
Canada Student Visa Guide: Study Permit, Requirements, Fees, Application Process
Canada Student Visa Guide: Study Permit, Requireme...43k downloads
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees and Application Process
Student Visas for Study Abroad: Requirement, Fees ...16k downloads
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!
Statement of Purpose (SOP): All You Need to Know!48k downloads

What is important to understand that this extended residence permit allows a student only to take up part-time employment of up to 964 hours – as allowed to students already studying in French Universities. This relates to about 60% of full employment. If a student, in the work permit, is able to find employment that is more than 1.5 times of the minimum wage guarantee, s/he must then apply for a Work Permit. So when deciding on which country to study in, keep these advantages of French opportunities in mind.

Those who hold ‘passport talent’ residence permit along with the ‘EU Blue Card’, they can get an EU long-term residence permit after staying for uninterrupted stay for five years in the EU. Also, candidates need to reside in France continuously for the last two years.

Looking for Abroad Counselling? Get Free Profile Evaluation from Shiksha Expert Counsellors - Sign Up Now

Related Articles

Useful Links

Download this article as PDF to read offline

Download Guide
About the Author
Anumika Bahukhandi
Study Abroad Expert

Holding an overall experience of 5 years, Anumika Bahukhandi has worked in the field of Journalism as a reporter/journalist, feature writer, and senior sub-editor with renowned media houses. She has been associated ... Read Full Bio





a year ago

hi Piyush, if you apply for french bschool got admitted and school dont have RNCP certificate nor grande Ecole.Still you can apply for PSA after 2 yr master?
and is worth doing master from reputed college without Gradne Ecole nor RNCP ?

Reply to aayu


Arnav Navghare

a year ago

How about a 1-year master's program? are students still eligible for 2 years Work Permit?

Reply to Arnav Navghare


Piyush Kohli

a year ago

Hi Arnav, if you have completed your master's degree from a French institute then you can apply for a temporary residence permit for a period of 24 months.



a year ago

Hi Piyush, can a master's student get full time employment during temporary residence permit, which is granted for 24 months post study.

Reply to Kaushalesh


Piyush Kohli

a year ago

Hi Kaushalesh, you can take part-time work, however, you need to find employment with salary more than
1.5 times of the minimum wage guarantee and then you can apply for a work permit.


Kanya Wadhwa

2 years ago

Is there PhD program in France and Germany?

Reply to Kanya Wadhwa


Piyush Kohli

2 years ago

Hi Kanya, please elaborate more on your query and let us know which course you wan to pursue further, so, we can assist you better.


leosam samraj

2 years ago

Hi Piyush, I completed my masters in Engineering in 2015 in France. After that I came back to India. Now I wish to go to France and search a job there. Can I get a work search VISA now?

Reply to leosam samraj

We use cookies to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy.