SOP for Netherlands
Top Netherlands universities either require a Statement of Purpose (SOP), Letter of Motivation (LOM), or a Personal Statement (PS). Irrespective of whichever document you submit to the university, there are a few things common in all three of them. These common aspects need to be covered in any written document you submit to the university, such as:
- Avoid vague and generic statements.
- Clearly outline your achievements and aspirations in a precise manner.
- Avoid superfluous language or jargon.
- Limit your document to one or two pages in length.
- Word limit can vary from anywhere between 500 to 1500 words. Some universities might have separate guidelines on how to present a document.
- The document should be free from any kind of plagiarism.
- Check grammatical mistakes.
For a generic sample of SOP, you can check out these links:
Most Dutch universities have university-specific requirements. Let us discuss a few of these requirements and how to approach them.
Leiden University: The university generally requires a motivational letter of 500-1,000 words. The following points should be covered in the LOM:
- Brief self-introduction and academic background
- Professional experiences, learnings, and achievements
- What makes you a good candidate?
- Why choose Leiden University?
- Reasons to choose a particular program
- Relevance of chosen program to your academic history, interests and future career
University of Amsterdam (UvA): A personal statement or a LOM is required for UvA of minimum 500 words. There is no upper word limit, however, it is ideal to stick to 1,000 words. The university expects you to answer the following points in details in the document:
- Details of academic and professional background
- Community service (if any)
- Strengths and weaknesses
- Special skills/achievements which led to personal growth
- Why this particular program?
- Career goals linked to the program chosen
- Why choose the University of Amsterdam?
Utrecht University (UU): UU accepts a motivational letter of maximum two pages and no word limit. Aspects to be covered in the LOM are:
- Academic background and achievements
- Practical experience in the field of interest and achievements
- Why you are a fit candidate to pursue this program?
- Why choose Utrecht University?
- Why choose this particular program?
- How the program will correspond to your career goals?
SOP Sample for Netherlands
For other universities that require a generic SOP, you can refer to this sample:
“With this statement of purpose, I wish to show you why I would be a suitable candidate for the XXXX program at your incredible university. Although I was initially interested in the engineering aspect of XXXXX, I became increasingly dedicated to an academic career throughout my bachelor degree. After my first year as a XXX major, I was fortunate enough to be accepted for a basic position at the XXXX Department of XXXX firm, where my role involved…………………. During this tenure, I transitioned from this position to become a key member of the XXXXX team while working on multiple projects for usage in both private and national security.
These projects helped me learn while working and gained experience which was detrimental for my dedication towards a career in XXXX. While working here, I got to see the exciting and innovation-driven part of the field of XXXX. This made me determined to make long-lasting contributions to the field by pursuing a career in XXXX as an XXXXX.
My undergraduate degree in XXXX helped me focus on getting experience in XXXXX outside of the university environment. By doing so, I built a solid basis on XXXXX by attending training and internships. The training at XXXXX exposed me to another branch of this field which was XXXXX. Fascinated with this, I took up internships which firms that XXXXXXXX. One particular internship at XXXXX encouraged me to get a deeper insight into this field. Thus, I decided to pursue a master’s program in XXXXX from XXXX University.
This program will help me develop crucial skills required to become an XXXX in future and help me understand the nuances of XXXXX. Selecting XXXX University was easy as I researched about its XXXXXXX. Being tutored by professors XXXX and XXXX will help me ………………….
I am confident that I will be able to deliver the experience required for this program. By joining this experience with my eagerness and unprecedented dedication to improving as a person and academic, I will be able to use it as a pillar to build a long-lasting and successful academic career.
Throughout my graduate degree, I also wish to continue my current activities in educating people outside the academic community. By hosting talks at libraries and community centres I hope to educate them about current research and how this might influence their lives. Besides teaching being a life-long passion of mine, I also see it as an important part of our academic obligation.”
Drop us a comment below to clarify any doubts or queries.