SOP for Singapore: Requirements by Top Universities, Important Key Points
Singapore Universities Requirements for SOP
Here we will discuss a few requirements by top Singapore universities:
National University of Singapore (NUS): NUS requires a Personal Statement of 2000 characters (about 300 words). Applicants are required to outline their achievements in this statement. Students should prepare the draft as an MS Word document and paste it on the online form while filling out the application.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU): The university requires a personal statement and a writing sample. The word limit for this can differ as per the programme. Usually, the word limit is 200 words. The personal statement should answer these prompts:
- What is unique and interesting about you?
- Which is your preferred major?
- Explain why you chose your preferred major?
- What do you hope to achieve by completing this major?
Singapore Management University (SMU): A personal statement of 300 words is required that highlights the most outstanding achievements or contributions of your life. Achievements/contributions you can include are
- Excellence and/or leadership in sports and/or arts
- Impactful leadership and/or participation in community service and volunteer programmes
- Significant awards and achievements in area/s relevant to the course applied for
- Noteworthy involvement in work (or internship) relevant to the course applied for
- Noteworthy involvement in entrepreneurial activity
- Ability to overcome significant difficulties and life challenges
Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD): A set of questions is provided in the application form. Applicants are required to choose and provide responses to two out of four questions that best present new and additional information that will be helpful for the applicant’s profile. Apart from this, applicants are required to list a record of their achievements, past leadership experiences, and community service.
Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT): A personal statement or an essay that describes an exceptional achievement is required. This document should highlight your academic and/or employment experience gained. It should also answer the following prompts:
- How would these support your choice of programme(s)?
- How will it help you attain your goal(s) in life?
- What are your plans upon graduation?
Applicants may also choose to submit an optional essay to explain any unusual circumstances or situations that can have an impact on their application.
James Cook University-Singapore (JCU): A personal statement or SOP is required. Course-specific requirements may differ.
Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS): SUSS requires a 500-word reflection essay on the following topic – From your personal experience, select ONE quality that you have acquired. Describe how you acquired it and why this quality is important to you. Apart from this, applicants are also required to submit a portfolio showcasing non-academic achievements such as:
- Co-curricular activities
- Community service or volunteer work
- Leadership roles
- Work experience (internships, traineeships, job shadowing)
- Entrepreneurship (start-ups or competitions)
SOP for Singapore: Important Points to Remember
Irrespective of the course or program, there are some essential points to remember while writing your SOP for Singapore. These are:
- Font Size and Style: As it is an academic document, the font should be Times New Roman, with a 12pt font size. Some universities may also accept Arial font, with 10pt or 12pt font size. However, Times New Roman is the preferred font for academic documents.
- Language: Use of active verbs and good vocabulary is encouraged; avoid using superfluous language and too much technical jargon.
- Word Limit: Try to keep the essay or SOP under 1000 words, or as specified by a particular university/program. The page length should not be more than two pages unless specified otherwise.
- Plagiarism: Your SOP should be error-free and plagiarism free. Always do a grammar check and proofread the document several times before submitting your application.
Drop us a comment if you have any doubts or queries regarding your SOP and we will get back to you with a solution!