Updated on Jun 8, 2022 19:03 IST
- Start early and by August, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- By September, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Begin by downloading admissions brochures from the university websites. Most brochures are out more than a year earlier.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options.
Download this guide to read it offline
Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
5k users downloaded this guide
- Prepare for required standardised tests like GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE - depending on the course and university.
- By June-July or three months before the test date, register for GMAT/GRE.
- Register for TOEFL/IELTS at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around September. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline.
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline!
You might be interested in these free downloads
Study in Australia: Timeline for July 2022 Intake4k downloads
Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2022 intak...33k downloads
Study in the US: Timeline for September 2022 Intak...14k downloads
- Ensure not to delay in replying to college e-mails as there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews, scheduled around January to March.
- You will receive your acceptance letter called CoE (Confirmation of Enrolment) in either November or December, depending on the institute.
- After receiving CoE, you can apply for a student visa.
- Notify the universities about your decision depending on the deadline.
- You would be required to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for a student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa. Check visa requirements.
- Apply for your student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
- Arrange for Overseas Student Health Cover.
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an Internation Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out the Pre-departure checklist on the Australia country guide for students!
Learn more about application process