Updated on Feb 1, 2022 14:15 IST
- Start early: By March, shortlist 8-12 universities you wish to apply to. Visit university websites and note their application requirements, deadlines, etc.
- Get familiar with banks or loan providers and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Start working on admission forms.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options and cost of living.
Download this guide to read it offline
Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
2k users downloaded this guide
- Prepare for required standardised tests like GMAT, GRE, TCF or IELTS - depending on the course and university.
- By April or three months before the test date, register for GMAT/ GRE.
- Register for language exams at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around June. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
You might be interested in these free downloads
Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2022 intak...33k downloads
Study in Australia: Timeline for February 2023 Int...5k downloads
Study in the US: Timeline for September 2022 Intak...14k downloads
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline.
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Search for and begin applying for scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply before the deadline!
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews.
- Once you get acceptance letters, make your decision as soon as possible.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
- Apply for a student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa. Check visa requirements.
- Apply for your student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an International Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out this Pre-departure checklist!
Learn more about application process