Updated on Feb 1, 2022 13:36 IST
- Start early and by August, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- By September, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Start working on individual college admission forms (for both UG and PG courses).
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options and living costs.
Download this guide to read it offline
Tell Us About Yourself
When do you plan to start?
Have you given any study abroad exam?
1k users downloaded this guide
- Prepare for required standardized tests like GMAT, TOEFL or IELTS - depending on the course and university.
- By June-July or three months before the test date, register for TOEFL/IELTS.
- Take the required tests around September. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test. Check test-taking and re-exam process and guidelines.
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline. Check the deadline timetable!
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline!
You might be interested in these free downloads
Study in Canada: Timeline for September 2022 intak...33k downloads
Study in Australia: Timeline for February 2023 Int...5k downloads
Study in the US: Timeline for September 2022 Intak...14k downloads
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews (if applicable). These are scheduled around January to March.
- Once you get acceptance letters, make your decision as soon as possible.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for a student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa.
- Apply for a student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an International Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out the Pre-departure checklist!
Learn more about application process