Reasons for rejection of US Student Visa
Studying in world-class universities is the dream of every student. Speaking of world-class education, the US is the top destination for international students across the world. If you are also planning to study in the US, then applying for a Student Visa is an important step in this direction. In this article, we will give you the reasons why your student visa can be rejected. The F-1 Visa is the most common type of visa issued to international students who wish to do higher studies in the US. An F1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to those who wish to attend a university or college in the US. Apart from this, those who plan to attend high school, language training program, seminary, or private elementary school also issued F-1 Student Visa. Apart from this, people also enter the US with other types of Visas, however, they are not allowed to enroll in any university without an F-1 Visa. Applying for a student visa is a time taking process, so, it is always advisable to apply early in order to avoid any delay that can affect your education.
The two major factors that are driving students to choose the US is its economy. For those who want to pursue higher studies in the US, we have listed some of the factors for F-1 Visa rejection.
The major reasons for US student visa rejection are:
- Insufficient finances: Lack of financial proof that confirm the student's education.
- Potential immigrant: If it is established that candidate can be a potential immigrant then the visa is rejected right away by the visa officer.
- If a candidate is not able to justify the strong establishment/ties to his homeland.
- Inappropriate or false documentation.
If a candidate is not able to convince/justify his/her intentions to the visa officer then there are high chances of visa rejection. Like if the candidate fails to answer why he/she selected a particular course and college/university. Make sure you are prepared to answer why you selected the particular course and the college/university where you got admission.
- There is a reason why the visa is rejected, at times students who got admission to top colleges also receive visa rejections. There is a reason for visa rejection you need to understand this.
Role of the US Embassy
US Embassy does not issue a visa rejection letter to the candidate. They inform them during the visa interview and give them 2 types of slips:
- 221(g) – This slip is issued when the embassy keeps the candidate’s visa on hold and verifies information related to the candidate whether he can be a potential immigrant or not. Also, they verify whether the candidate has sufficient funds and no home ties justified during the interview. After the completion of the inquiry, the candidate is informed whether his/her visa is accepted or rejected.
- 214(b) – This slip is given when the candidate’s student’s visa is rejected and there are general reasons for it which are mentioned in the slip. There can be 1 or more reasons for the rejection. The following can be the reasons for rejection of the visa:
- Potential immigrant
- Inadequate finances
- No home ties justified during the interview
Always make sure to prepare well for the interview. Arrange your documents properly and communicate fluently in English. And remember, one can reapply for a US Visa 24 hours after the rejection.
- Reasons for rejection of Canada Student Visa
- Reasons for rejection of UK Student Visa
- Reasons for rejection of Australian Student Visa
- Reasons for rejection of Germany Student Visa
If your Visa application has been rejected once, you might want to refer: What to do if your student Visa gets rejected?.
Need more tips related to Visa Application? Check out Interview tips for student visa.